Trusted stroke care in Sarasota, Florida
Doctors Hospital of Sarasota is committed to providing patients, throughout Sarasota, Lakewood Ranch and Venice, diagnosed with stroke with higher quality care. As part of that commitment, we maintain a Primary Stroke Center designation with The Joint Commission. This recognition means our stroke specialists follow the highest national standards for safety and care in the rapid response and treatment of stroke patients.
If you are having a medical emergency, call 911 immediately. To learn more about our stroke services, call our Consult-A-Nurse® hotline at (888) 685-1596.
Understanding what a stroke is
A stroke is an emergency that requires an immediate visit to the nearest emergency room (ER). A stroke occurs when there is a disruption in blood flow, causing a reduced supply of oxygen to the brain. There are two main types of stroke:
An ischemic stroke occurs when a blood clot keeps blood from flowing to the brain. The cause of the blood clot is often a result of a buildup of fatty deposits on the inner lining of a blood vessel. Clots can also travel to the brain from another part of the body.
A hemorrhagic stroke occurs when a weakened blood vessel ruptures. The rupture is commonly caused by hypertension (high blood pressure). After the rupture, blood leaks into the brain, damaging it.
Stroke signs and symptoms
Symptoms of a stroke can happen suddenly, and getting help is essential. Seek emergency assistance immediately if you notice or experience symptoms such as:
- Numbness or weakness of the face, arm or leg, especially on one side of the body
- Confusion, trouble talking or difficulty understanding speech
- Sudden trouble seeing in one or both eyes
- Trouble walking, dizziness, or loss of balance or coordination
- Sudden severe headache with no known cause
Timely stroke treatment can greatly improve your chances of recovery. We are equipped to deliver lifesaving services, including:
- A trained stroke team available 24/7
- Rapid turnaround of imaging and radiology exams
- Quick results from diagnostic and lab procedures
- Dedicated stroke unit
- Rehabilitation specialists committed to helping patients regain a comfortable quality of life
- Multidisciplinary stroke committee that reviews patient care and outcomes monthly
Rehabilitation after a stroke is an essential step in the recovery process. It helps you regain a comfortable quality of life. For that reason, we provide comprehensive physical therapy and rehabilitation for stroke recovery. We'll do everything we canto help patients meet their goals.