Trusted behavioral health treatment in Sarasota, Florida
Doctors Hospital of Sarasota provides adult and senior patients with inpatient and outpatient mental health programs throughout Lakewood Ranch and Venice. We offer a wide range of mental health treatments at our behavioral health facilities, Serenity Place and Transitions.
For additional information call (941) 342-4461
When to seek mental health services
Life changes and obstacles can make it valuable to seek professional help to manage and overcome these challenges. Some behaviors that may signal you or someone you love needs help include:
- Major change in personality, including feeling angry or anxious
- Disruption in daily activities with inability to socialize or perform daily tasks
- Hallucinations or paranoia
- Inability to adjust or recover from loss (such as the death of a loved one, financial issues or a terminal medical diagnosis)
Behavioral health specialties
Our behavioral health programs are staffed by multidisciplinary teams of professionals. They offer support for individuals with a wide range of behavioral and mental health needs. To ensure you get the most effective care, we offer traditional and specialty therapies, such as electroconvulsive therapy (ECT).
Conditions we treat include:
- Bipolar disorder
- Depression (severe or debilitating)
Senior mental health inpatient treatment
Serenity Place is the only inpatient, voluntary, acute care, and geriatric, behavioral health program in the Sarasota area. It serves patients 50 and older who need acute mental health treatment in a safe, compassionate and tranquil environment. Our 16-room behavioral health center is in a dedicated wing of the hospital to ensure confidentiality and privacy.
Our senior behavioral health treatment programs are customized for each patient and include:
- Individual therapy
- Group therapy
- Educational groups
- Loss management and relapse prevention
- Group activities (such as music, dance, reminiscence and yoga)
Outpatient treatment program
Transitions provides a safe, therapeutic, environment that encourages and promotes recovery. We offer psychotherapy and psychoeducation in partial hospitalization or intensive outpatient settings for those 18 years of age and older.
Partial hospitalization program (PHP)
PHP is designed to provide psychiatric and mental health care through active treatment . It is for patients who need a highly structured, intensive treatment approach, but do not require 24-hour supervision and care.
Our group therapy:
- Meets in four groups each day with an emphasis on mental health and coping
- Focuses on a variety of subjects designed to aid patients in understanding and managing their symptoms in a more effective way.
Patients receive ongoing monitoring and treatment from a psychiatrist, registered nurse and licensed therapist.
PHP is held five days a week, Monday - Friday: 9:00am - 2:00pm.
Intensive outpatient program (IOP)
IOP is designed to provide a higher level of outpatient mental health treatment. In our IOP:
- Group members participate in three groups each day with an emphasis on mental health and coping.
- The groups focus on a variety of different subjects, such as coping skills, assertiveness skills, goal setting, and establishing supports.
IOP is a three day per week program offered on Monday, Wednesday and Friday: 9:00am - 12:00pm.
Comprehensive electroconvulsive therapy
At Doctors Hospital of Sarasota, we offer traditional treatments for many illnesses including anxiety, depression and psychosis. Additionally, we offer electroconvulsive therapy (ECT) for patients who are not responsive to other forms of therapy.
For more information about our electroconvulsive therapy services, call Doctors Hospital of Sarasota at (941) 342-1100.
What is electroconvulsive therapy (ECT)?
ECT is a behavioral health treatment option for severe symptoms of mental illness. Once referred to as "electroshock therapy", it involves the application of an electrical stimulus to the scalp. This causes the brain to release chemicals that can reduce the severity and frequency of symptoms.
Who benefits from ECT treatment?
Psychiatrists perform this medical treatment on patients who are:
- Chronically suicidal
- Chronically depressed
- Experiencing severe mania or schizophrenia and have been partially or non-responsive to medications and counseling
- In need of a rapid response treatment
- Medication resistant
- Resistant to depression treatment
- Severely and chronically psychotic including conditions such as catatonia
- Suffering from bipolar disorder
Benefits of ECT
ECT has helped patients start recovering faster than medication with a success rate higher than patients only using antidepressants. Some benefits of ECT include:
- Majority of depressed patients who receive ECT respond favorably
- Results are often immediate
- Fewer side effects than many medications
ECT treatment course
To achieve the best outcomes, ECT involves a series of treatments. This is typically completed three times a week, averaging between six to 12 total treatments.
The number of treatments can vary according to the individual and customized patient treatment plan.